The following job posting was recently submitted by the College of St. Scholastica. Organizations interested in having comparable announcements published here should be in touch: info (at) nordicinsights.news. There is a small fee charged for most job postings.
[The original version of this posting, which includes the “Apply for this Job” link, can be found on the CSS website here.]
The College of St. Scholastica is seeking a head coach for its Women’s and Men’s NCAA Nordic Skiing program. The Saints ski program begins its 18th season in 2023-24, as two of the 22 varsity NCAA Division III athletics programs the college offers. The St. Scholastica Saints are a member institution of the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletics Conference (MIAC) in all sports except Skiing. The ski team is a member of Central Collegiate Ski Association (CCSA).
Narrative Job Summary
The position serves both women’s and men’s Nordic skiing and embraces leadership, academic focus, and competitive excellence. The Head Coach should exhibit a vision for aspirational development of the student athletes in the program, while engaging the community and alumni in a positive, professional manner. The head coach is responsible for all aspects of the program, including student-athlete development, planning and preparation of practices and racing schedules, identifying and recruiting prospective student athletes, hiring and managing assistant coaches, managing program budget, operational logistics, participating in college community and alumni relations initiatives, and adhering to the rules and regulations while ensuring compliance with NCAA and CCSA.
The Head Coach embodies and delivers on the college’s mission, and specifically its Benedictine Values. The Head Coach conducts themselves with the highest level of ethics, accountability, teamwork, and humility, ensuring that each student athlete personally develops in lasting and meaningful ways. The strongest candidate will exhibit an ability to inspire student athletes with life lessons through sport, aligning with the program’s history of achieving against the odds — that winning is the goal achieved through rigorous and detailed intent and care for the student athlete experience, above all else.
This position requires extensive experience in endurance sport, training and method-modeling of cohesive training systems for endurance sport with Nordic skiing as a major portion of such experience. The strongest candidate will have a proven record coaching ski racers up to, at, or above the NCAA collegiate level; preferably have NCAA ski coaching experience; have a strong plan for, or exhibited history of recruiting skiers within the NCAA skiing realm; a reputation within the ski racing community as a credible and impactful head coach of a program of the NCAA collegiate level; and exhibit the technical knowledge and experience necessary for competitive equipment preparation requisite to the level of competition.
Posting specifications: Open to all qualified candidates
Campus location: Duluth
Job Title: Head Coach, Nordic Skiing
Job Group: Staff
To manage all aspects of a successful intercollegiate D-III athletic program in order to increase the College’s enrollment and to promote the College’s image throughout the nation.
Job Type: Full-Time
Indicate specific days and hours to be worked: Flexible
- Recruit prospective student-athletes in order to reach the teams’ target roster size.
- Retain and graduate student-athletes at a rate higher than the overall college rates in order to generate positive net revenue for the college.
- Coach in a manner that results in successful performance in order to create a positive image of the college in the minds of the community, alumni and other prospective students.
- Administer all aspects of their program including budget, team travel, scheduling and documentation to insure the smooth operation of their teams and efficient use of the college’s resources.
- Complete Second Duties to insure the smooth operation of the Athletic Department and efficient use of the college’s resources.
- Perform Community Service in order to present a positive image of the college and to help our student-athletes “learn to touch the world.”
- Knowledge of rules, techniques and culture of their sport.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Ability to travel.
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Driver’s License.
- Effective group verbal and written communication skills.
- Master’s degree.
- Head Coaching experience.
- Managerial Experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
The College of St. Scholastica offers the following benefits to employees.
Pay Rate: Commensurate with Experience
Job Open Date: 05/23/2023
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled: Yes
The College of St. Scholastica is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to creating an educational and work environment that is rich in diversity, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty and staff. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law. To learn more about how St. Scholastica supports diversity and inclusion throughout the College, visit our Inclusive Excellence page.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What does it mean for you to have a commitment to diversity and inclusion? How have you demonstrated that commitment, and how would you see yourself demonstrating it in this role?
(Open Ended Question)
- Resume/CV *
- Cover Letter *
[Again, the full job posting and application link is available through the CSS human resources site.]